Hallgarten overhauls its Burgundy portfolio
Hallgarten Druitt & Novum Wines has added 32 new wines to its Burgundy portfolio from 11 producers. Within this, seven producers are new to Hallgarten and the additions bring its number of Burgundian producers up to 22.
French wine buyer, Beverly Tabbron MW, said: “Burgundy is an incredible region that provides uncompromising quality at every level if you know where to look. We have focused on some of the smaller, less well-known appellations in the region, and on those that are responsible for putting Burgundy on the map. Each wine we have introduced has been selected on its merits and is intended to really standout on a wine list, and on a wine merchant’s shelf.”
The additions include classics from Puligny, Meursault and Gevrey, and some from smaller appellations including Auxey-Duresses, Ladoix, and Pernand-Vergelesses in Cote d’Or and Mercurey in Cote Chalonnaise.
The new producers to the portfolio include:
* Domaine Bidault – a single hectare in the Cote de Nuits, where Sebastian Bidault makes a Gevrey-Chambertain following organic principles
* Domaine Slyvain Loichet, a new-wave winemaker operating in less fashionable sites, such as Ladoix and Pernard Vergelesses. The producer focuses on low yields, organic winemaking and certain biodynamic principles
* Philippe Bouzereau, a ninth generation family Domaine grower in Meursault who practices minimum intervention on a Domaine that covers 18 hectares and 20 appellations, mainly in the Cote de Beaune
* Domaine Antoine Olivier, which has three white Santenays from what is primarily a red appellation
* Domaine Gouffier, a new-wave winemaker based in the village of Fontaines and Mercurey
* Chateau de Chamilly, whose wines are regarded as benchmark Cote Chalonnaise, has a ‘less is more’ philosophy, which includes fewer stems, less lees stirring and less intervention.
* Domaine Guillot-Broux, which is the first Burgundy Domaine to be organically farmed in the early 1950s. The estate in Macon is now run by two Guillot brothers, Patrice and Emmanuel.